Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Q & A with Rachel Dachenbach, Alto Section


Year: Freshman
Major: Elementary Education
Hometown: Russell, IA

Which church have you had the best performance at thus far on the tour?
I think our best performance was probably in Junction City. Not only were we all more prepared after the previous concerts, but we were so warmly welcomed and made to feel so at home that I think we were all a little more at ease and very eager to give the performance. Having alumni in Junction City also allowed us to feel more connected to the congregation, and it was evident that they very much appreciated our group.

I saw tears in your eyes after last night’s concert in Junction City. Tell me about the feeling you experienced:
Last night was very emotional for me on many levels. The music just hit me in ways that it hasn’t before and I was struck by the beauty of the pieces as well as the people performing them. I was in awe of the response from the group, most of whom reminded us of our grandparents or perhaps great-grandparents, and I was reminded of my late grandmother and great-grandmother who always supported their grandchildren and their musical endeavors. It just seemed like last night we became a family for the first time, supporting one another and realizing just how much depth and power our music can have.

What city are you most looking forward to most in California?

I’m just looking forward to California in general! Seeing the coast will be an exciting experience and it will be nice to see more of the northern parts of the state instead of the southern parts I’ve visited. I can’t wait for (hopefully) warm weather!

As a freshman, how do you like Grand View choir compared to high school choir?

I enjoyed my high school choir because we kept improving and challenging ourselves every year, but we lacked the bonds that we seem to have at Grand View. I love that we all care for and support one another, everyone is passionate about the music, and I especially like how Dr. Duffy pushes us to be the best we can be.

Is this the farthest west you’ve been? How do you like it?
I was in San Diego a couple of years ago, but didn’t get to see as much as I would have liked. It’s been such a wonderful opportunity to experience nature from the windows of buses and houses rather than from an airplane, and I’ve especially enjoyed getting to know the people as well as the cities. I love it here, and it may be difficult getting me to go back to the Midwest!

No comments:

Post a Comment