Thursday, March 17, 2011

Q & A with Leif Strandskov, Baritone




Year:
Junior
Major: English
Hometown: Temple City, CA


I hear this is your first year. Where did you transfer from and what brought you to Iowa?
I transferred from Pasadena City College. My dad and grandpa both went to Grand View so when we were looking for colleges for me, all of the California colleges were really impacted so Grand View was one of our top choices to go back to because my dad and grandpa loved it.

Rumor has it you have family in Solvang, CA?
My grandpa is from Iowa then moved out to Solvang, CA after he met his wife at Grand View and my dad was born there. Solvang is a big Danish community so Grand View has always been a part of it. My grandparents moved there after being at Grand View and raised their family there. They had a son, whose my dad, and two daughters. They shared property with the church we’re going to sing at so Solvang has always been a big part of my life because everyday in September they have Danish Days and my parents are actually members of the Solvang Village Folk-dancers so every year at Danish Days we go back and dance with the folk-dancers.

So you’re Danish?

I am. I’m half Danish. My dad is Swedish, my mom is Danish.

What has been the most exciting moment of the trip so far?
Probably the most exciting moment so far was when my brother, Ky, came and saw me in Seattle. He lives up in Seattle and we sort of had this planned for him to come out but it got kind of got jumbled so we weren’t sure if he was going to make it. But he totally did and that was probably the most exciting part.

Who will you see in Solvang?
My parents, grandmother, brother, Krister, and three or four of my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment